I recently got to spend the weekend celebrating my birthday in Seattle and then back at my place!! Me and some of my best friends headed down to Seattle, and then went canoeing, walked around Pike Place and finished off by riding the Great Wheel. We had such a great time and of course I …
I recently decided to gradually go vegan!! I’m not going to go too much into it, but I was already vegetarian so I slowly started cutting out forms of dairy and how much I had it. Finally cutting dairy has really left me feeling so much better since I’m actually allergic to dairy lol! Obviously this post isn’t for me to tell you “go vegan”, I just wanted to share my favorite recipes and since I’m eating vegan, they’re vegan 🙂
OATMEAL, BANANA & PEANUT BUTTER BOWL
This is my new favorite breakfast because it has a good amount of protein!! I love the banana-nut flavor mixed with the oatmeal. I promise this will keep you full all morning!!
1. I start by boiling my water and making my oatmeal! I used plain oatmeal and put that in a bowl.
2. While that’s cooking I’ll cut up my banana. I cut it into slices and put them on top of the oatmeal.
3. I finish off by adding my chia seeds and peanut butter!!
I love how cute this bowl is too, you bet I’m taking photos of it!
QUINOA, CORN & BEANS
1. I cook my quinoa by boiling 1 cup of water and then adding 1 cup of quinoa! Then I let this cook for 10-15 minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, I wash some black beans and corn and warm those in the microwave!
3. After everything is done cooking, I add the quinoa to a bowl. Then I mix in the beans and corn!
This is such a good, protein-packed with veggies!! You can also add any other veggies you’d like.
I hope you enjoyed and try some of these recipes out!!
These are always my favorite posts, sharing my ways to feel happier with your life and be a healthier person. Overall I’ve kinda been learning what it means to thrive in life and I wanted to share to hopefully help you out! This is kinda a part two to my August, October, and January posts for me to share recently what I’ve been doing.
Starting off, I recommend thinking about what you want in life and what are some keys of your dream life! I made a diagram with a bunch of categories like blogging, anxiety/happiness, health, etc. Then make sections off of those with specific goals, you can even use photos to represent them.
Another way to motivate yourself to do any of this is to remind yourself that when you feel good, your whole life feels better!! Meaning that when you put goodness into your body, goodness will come out of it.
Whenever I’m feeling down or just “off” I FaceTime or hangout with a supportive friend. They always give the best advice and it’s perfect to have that one or two friend who just always makes you feel better!
Relating to what I said earlier, what you think and put into your body manifests on the outside!! For example if you want to look happy, get clear skin, be fit you need to put good thoughts and goodness into you body.
I’ve recently started doing this and that is to use an app to track if you’re getting every vitamin you need! There are so many vitamins that if you’re missing can cause things like insomnia, clouded thinking, increased stress and so much more. I use “Sustainabody” and it tells me what I need to eat to get the vitamins.
For eating healthy , I recommend packing a healthy lunch so you’re stuck with it. If you bring a salad to school for lunch, your only option will be to eat a salad!
Also make sure to stock up on healthy snacks! I buy things like Naked juice, oranges, plain popcorn, fruit, bagels, etc. Then it’s easier not just grab cookies cause you can grab something just as easy.
I hope these tips help you out and thanks for reading!!
I’m so excited for spring!! I love the spring and summer months the most for so many reasons!! Today’s post is a collab with Elina, who’s another blogger I’ve been friends with for a while. She will be doing a fall grwm, since she lives in Australia! Definitely go check out her blog because it’s amazing and so is she 😉
Starting off with makeup, I did this beautiful look featuring pink tones and glowy skin!
After cleansing, toning and moisturizing my face, I use the Mario Badescu Rose Water spray to prime my face for makeup!! This is soo calming and works pretty well as a primer.
This is my #1 tip ever for glowy skin!! Mix your foundation with a bit of liquid highlighter. It makes your skin so glowy and natural, I love to do this! I blend it all in with a damp makeup sponge. I used the NYX Total Control Drops foundation and Benefit High Beam highlighter.
Then for concealer, I use the Maybelline Fit Me concealer on any blemishes/”issues”. I’ve heard that this concealer can be a dupe for the Nars Creamy Concealer so I’d say this is a pretty good drugstore concealer 🙂
Moving on to setting my face, I’m using the Maybelline Master Fix Translucent Powder. I love using a translucent powder because it doesn’t make you look cakey like other powders can. I use an ELF powder brush to dust this everywhere!
I don’t know if I’m the only person who does this, but I always do bronzer and highlighter after powder to keep it glowy! I love this Milani Baked Bronzer in “Glow”. This bronzer is sooo amazing!! It smells really good, looks not too dark but also not orange and doesn’t break me out. Many other bronzers I’ve tried broke me out…
Then I go in with the Clinique Blush in “Sunset Glow”. I blend this into my bronzer too keep it natural. Using blush really helps the pink tones in this look which is perfect for spring!!
I think I’m obsessed with highlighter?? Using the Benefit Watts Up highlighter, I use my sponge to blend this into my cheekbones and the tip of my nose.
Moving into eyeshadow, I started with using the Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette! I used a matte pink shade all over my lid. I use to use this palette all the time but I haven’t used it in a bit since I got the morphe one, but I forgot how good it is!!
Then I blend a darker purple-pink shimmer into my crease. I need to get more palettes for how much I love eyeshadow ahah.
Since I’m keeping this look simple, I use this shimmery pink on the center of my lid. I’d say this was a pretty easy eyeshadow look, hopefully you can try it out!!
Then I’m going to use the NYX Micro Brow Pencil to fill in my brows. I make small strokes and do a light outline.
Finally to finish the look, I’m starting off with the Maybelline Lash-Sensational mascara on my top and bottom lashes. Then since I love mascara combos, I’m using the Clinique Chubby Lash mascara on my top lashes! I love to use two mascaras, one for lengthening and one for thickening.
For hair I’m just going to straighten my hair!! I’d say this is a really good straightener, it’s from John Freida and it really keeps my hair straight all day.
Since I have somewhat thick hair I put up the top half in a bun. I straighten the bottom half and then take out the bun and straighten the rest! When I’m feeling really lazy, I just leave it in the bun and only straighten the bottom lol.
And here is my outfit!! I’d say this is a perfect outfit for spring and I love off the shoulder tops. My shirt is from Target, jeans are from Hollister and I don’t remember where my sandals are, sorry!! I’m always wearing hoop earrings from Target.
I love simple outfits like this!! Thanks to the lighting for making me look so pale, I’m definitely needing some summer right about now ahaha.
I hope you enjoyed and don’t forget to check out Elina!!
Good morning!! (or night lol) I love reading morning routines so much so I thought it was time to make one!! Today’s post is a collab with Ellie who is an amazing blogger I’ve been talking to for a while 🙂 Since she lives on the opposite side of the world as me, and it’s summer for her and winter for me, we thought it’d be cool to do morning routines for our different seasons!!
Obviously to start my morning I have to wakeup… Unless I’m waking up for school, I don’t mind waking up, but if it’s a weekday I’m seriously mad about it!! I try to remind myself that today is a fresh start and think of fun things I’m doing though.
To help get myself out of bed and instead of just going to Instagram or Snapchat right away, I watch some youtube/netflix or listen to music!! I find that I’ll begin to watch and then move over to getting my day started after watching other poeple do it?? Here I’m watching Mia Stammer’s vlogs which I absolutely love, (current favorites with some other youtubers coming soon!!)
Then I go over to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I use the Clinique Acne Solutions Facewash and Toner, then follow with the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer. This routine has cleared up my skin so friking much!!
Next it’s time for makeup!! Doing my makeup is honestly one of my favorite parts of the morning, I love putting on some Netflix/YouTube and doing it. I’ll usually do my everyday makeup routine but I often change up the eyeshadow look and do something from my favorite eyeshadow looks post 🙂
It’s kinda weird but before finishing getting ready, I go downstairs and make breakfast!! It’s about the time the rest of my family eats so I like to eat with them. I will usually have a fruit bowl, bagel or toast.
Then I go back up to change and do my hair. I honestly don’t usually curl or straighten it on school days but sometimes!! I often do french braids the night before cause I find it gives my hair really nice curls instead of my natural crazy waves. When my hairs messy though, I’ll just put it in a ponytail or braids.
Lastly I will just change and go off to school!! A basic outfit for me is leggings, tee shirt and a jean jacket.
I hope you enjoyed and go check out Ellie’s blog + post!!
If you know me, I use the word aesthetic wayyyy too much!! I got some really cute DIY ideas and all I could think of to describe all them was how aesthetic they are 🙂
FOLLOW MY NEW BLOG INSTAGRAM!!
• DIY HANGING PLANT •
I’ve seen these hanging plants all over Pinterest and I’ve wanted to try it out forever!! It’s actually pretty easy and very minimal supplies 🙂
- plant (I recommend air plants because they can’t dump dirt if you bump into them)
1. Cut 8 pieces of string that are about 24 inches each and tie them together at the top. Split them into 4 groups of 2.
2. Tie each of the two pieces together about 1 1/2 inches away from the original knot.
3. Take one of the two strings from one knot and one from the one to the side and tie them together. Repeat all the way around.
4. Repeat step 3 as many times as you need to fit your plant it.
5. You should be able to put your plant in the hanger by holding all the strings at the top and the original knot being underneath the pot.
You can hang this from a shelf or from your ceiling and it’s so cute/cozy! You could also make a few of these and hang them together in a corner, I just didn’t have enough air plants :/
• DIY AÇAÍ BOWLS •
Guys, these are so good!! Me and my mom both loved these and they’re so healthy too. I love how beautiful these bowls look, you can take some photos of them too 😉
1. Add to your blender:
- frozen fruit
- frozen açaí packet (mines from whole foods)
- milk (I used lactose-free cause i’m lactose intolerant)
2. Blend all your ingredients together on a high setting until all the chunks are gone and it’s a smooth but thick mixture.
3. Now pour/spoon your blended asai into a bowl and smooth the top.
4. Cut up some fruit such as bananas, strawberries, blueberries (well you don’t need to cut those) or whatever you’d like.
5. Then, I arranged my fruit on top of my bowl, I also added granola (my favorite thing on açaí bowls) and honey!!
And here are my wonderful masterpieces!! But really, I’ve been loving these ever since I got the frozen açaí for them 😉
• DIY “GOOD VIBES” BANNER/SIGN •
I’ve been seeing these banner types all over Urban Outfitters and their so cute (and aesthetic lol ;))
- letter outlines for your words
- exacto knife or some other small blade
- white fabric
- wooden dowel
- black paint + brush
1. Use your exacto knife or small blade type thing (mine was my moms and it’s meant for scrapbooking lol) to cut out the insides of all your letters needed to spell “good vibes” (or whatever other short phrase you’d like).
2. Attach your letter to your fabric with tape. I recommend using a ruler and pencil to make a line across, so when you place the bottom of your letter their even because mine were a bit off center…
3. Then, fill in your letters with paint! You can do this super carefully and hold the sides down but I liked mine a bit messy 🙂
4. Continue painting in your letters and removing the letters as you go.
5. Once you’ve finishing painting everything, let it dry for 1+ hours to be safe.
6. Using a ruler, outline where you want to cut for each side and carefully cut.
7. Also measure out a point at the bottom if you’d like (you could also leave it straight or do it like a pendant)
8. Then, glue on your dowel rolling the fabric around it with hot glue.
9. Finally, tie your string around the ends of the dowel so you can hang your sign.
I hope you enjoyed and try these out! Comment any post requests 🙂
(ps, would you guys be interested in a q&a??)
WOW A NEW BLOG NAME!! I think that I have outgrown my old name “artsysmartz” since I made this blog 3 years ago! So I came up with “lovecarlyallison” for the url and “Carly Allison” for the name.
I’ve wanted to change the name to my real name for a bit so I’m so excited!! Getting the url right was a bit of a struggle but I worked with WordPress and it’s perfect now!!
Now onto the actual post!! I’m doing a cozy night/pamper routine perfect for after a long day or week 🙂
1. To start off the perfect pamper night, you have to take off your makeup! I’m using the Ganier Micellar Cleansing Water (the one for waterproof mascara).
2. It can’t be a pamper night without a bath!! Use whatever bath bombs, salts or bubble baths you’d like to make the perfect bath. I used himalayan epsom salt and bubbles in mine and it felt amazing! I also love watching Netflix while soaking in a nice bath, so I watch that while I just do the normal bath/shower stuff 🙂
3. After a bath I totally recommend moisturizing your arms, legs, etc. Just grab your favorite lotion and apply it for some super soft skin!
4. It can’t be a pamper night unless you get into some extra comfy clothes like a hoodie and fuzzy pants or shorts.
5. Now that you’re feeling cozy in your comfy clothes, you need to make your room cozy too by lighting some candles and turning on fairy lights
6. I also love to make easy baked treats like this chocolate chip cookie in a mug. It’s so delicious and cozy!!
wisk in a mug and microwave for one minute:
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons soymilk
- 1/8 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- as many chocolate chips as you’d like 🙂
7. Honestly, what is a pamper night without a face mask?? It’s so nice to treat your skin and here I’m using the L’oréal mask (red one??)
8. Another requirement for a pamper night is to do your nails!! I recommend doing a full manicure and pedicure just like you were at the salon!! Trim/file your nails, soak then carefully push back your cuticles if you want and paint them!
9. After washing off your mask, follow up with your skincare routine. I also love to use a spot treatment on any acne, I either use tea tree oil or a benzoyl peroxide spot treatment from Neutrogena.
10. To finish off my night I always just continue watching Netflix and maybe some YouTube. I’ve been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls & Riverdale 😉
I hope you enjoyed and got some ideas for your next cozy night!
I’m a huge sucker for just tours in general; house, room, apartment you name it. I find them so helpful for decorating my own room, too. I also recently re-did my room this summer and wanted to do this before decorating for fall and winter, so here you go! I would say my room has a bit of a boho, minimal kinda look to it which is definitely a great representation of my style.
Also, if the lighting isn’t great in some photos, I’m sorry!! There have been a ton of wildfires in my area which made this thick layer of smog in the sky, so the lighting is super bad and fuzzy.
Above is just a quick overview of where everything is set up and such. I have a big space in the middle area of my room which I love for when friends are over, sleepovers, at-home workouts, etc.
First of all, to the left of my door, I have my laundry basket which is kind of random but I really like the material and use it as another surface a lot, too. On it I have really cute unicorn slippers, their too small for me but I love unicorns so I just keep them there.
Next to that I have my nightstand (from Fred Meyer!) I really love the vintage-ish vibe of it, which matches the rest of my room so well. In the bottom section, I keep all my library books because I’m a huge bookworm.
On the left surface, I have a DIY tissue jar, a “say yes to new adventures” quote card in a silver daisy display and orchid plant that currently has no flowers. On the right, I have my water which isn’t always there but it moves around and my black desk-style lamp. Above my nightstand I have a dream-catcher that I made when I was little.
Then to the right, I have my favorite part; my bed! I have this off-white fuzzy blanket/comforter from Costco and for pillows I have two light pink pillows and on top of those I have these purple ones which I love so much! In front of those four, I have a darker tan throw and a stuffed Pug I got from the fair.
Above my bed, I have these simple fairy lights from Target, a DIY hanging and then by my window, I have a DIY phases of the moon hanging. Also you don’t see most of them, but I also have these fake flowers hanging from my ceiling above my bed. Under my bed, I also have 3 bins that store random stuff, hamster stuff and workout clothes/sports gear and my violin.
Above my bed on the side I have my window; I love my window being right there so I can look out from my bed (kinda like a window seat). On my windowsill, I have my landline phone (so I can talk to people without using all my minutes) and a plant. I have a huge thing for plants and I love having them in my room! I also have my blinds which have a cool, old-fashioned draping valance.
Then, to the right I have my desk – the busiest part of my room. First, I have my 3-cube organizer, on top I have 2 fake plants (Michaels) and my planner. Inside, I have all my drawing, craft and school supplies in these crates also from Michaels. Leaned against my bed on the other side I have my Prismacolors.
Next, I have my desk, I spend a lot of time there doing homework, writing blog posts, drawing, etc. On my desk I keep my phone, surface, journal & pencils, pencil jar and lamp. I also keep more supplies in the drawer and art books in the “open drawer”. Underneath my desk on the bottom board of it I keep my CD player (yes I still listen to the radio a lot), camera bag/supplies and trash can. I also normally have some frames above my desk but I took it down as it reveals private information.
Then, I have my chair which is pretty plain except for these holes in the back and really uncomfortable so I added a blue seat pad.
On the wall next to my desk, I have this little heart-shaped photo/quote collage. I found some cute quotes and photos on Pinterest and some fake flowers as well as the owl around my room. I just taped them up with some cute tape in the shape of a heart on my wall.
Next, I have my dresser, it’s a pretty big one which I love. In it I store all my pants, pj’s, shorts etc. as well as all my products (I share a bathroom with my 2 younger sisters) and makeup. Above my dresser I have a shelf (it’s not in this photo but it’s in the first one). On it I just have a DIY frame, coke bottle with my name on it and my Polaroid camera.
On my dresser I first have my hamster cage; I have a hamster named Pepper! For decor, I have this wood tray with a teacup holding random jewelry (Dyso) and a random photo I found on Pinterest and this white owl candle holder (Michaels). On the top section I have these cute books stacked with a DIY flower C on top and my clock (Amazon).
To the right of my dresser is my full length mirror. I’m slightly too tall for it which is really annoying! Every morning, I sit on the carpet in front of the mirror and get ready and listen to music😂
Lastly on the final wall, I have my closet which is pretty big. Half of it is filled with clothes (tops) and the other half holds my bookshelf and is used for storage. On the mini wall to the right, I have this little jewelry hanger. Also, on the back of my door, I have my favorite hoodies on a hanger.
I hope you enjoyed and got some room inspiration!
It can be really hard to be productive when you’re just not feeling it, so I have some tips to be productive and hopefully beat procrastination.
Also, I went through my blog and to give myself a fresh start, I deleted all the posts I wasn’t proud of. I’m determined to follow my posting schedule (every Friday) this school year and I’m so excited!
I really hope you enjoy this post as the style is a bit different and it is much more me <3
A great way to motivate yourself is to think about what you can do when you’re done with whatever task you have to do. For example, you have to finish your math homework but when you’re done you can work on a drawing.
If you want to finish something as fast as possible, try setting a timer for how long you think it will take and trying to beat the timer! It works best for the small, annoying tasks like making your bed, putting away laundry & cleaning that can drag on.
Another way to get yourself going is to get inspired. That means if you need to clean, look up clean room photos, if you need to make a blog post, read a post, etc.
When you’re working hard at something you should take breaks to try to keep yourself motivated and happy-ish. I recommend, depending on how intense the assignment is and how long its taking, 5-10 minute breaks every 30-60 minutes. During breaks you could eat, go on your phone etc. but make sure you go right back to your assignment (use a timer).
If you’re not prioritizing what you’re doing and you run out of time, you won’t have the important things done. You would want to have your homework done before you do a blog post or clean your room, for example.
Especially when you’re working on something you really don’t like, it can get so boring, so try to make it fun! Try listening to music, doing it in color, etc. Whatever you can do to try and put yourself in a better mood as you’re doing it will probably help your work be better.
If you’re seriously not feeling it, you can try to start with something small just to get you going. Just one or two things, though, because this is likely not the most important thing on your list. Like if you have a lot of homework to do but you REALLY don’t want to, you can start by cleaning your desk and often that will motivate me to keep going and checking stuff off.
The worst feeling is knowing you’re not going to finish something on your list, avoid this by making sure you don’t put too much on your list – be realistic. When I have too much on my list and feel overwhelmed, it makes me even less motivated and I do even less so just avoid that.
Another reason I will not want to do something is when I have a big project and just don’t know where to start. When you get a project or big task, make a plan/break it up so you’re just working on one part of it at a time – way less overwhelming!
What I do when I have an extremely busy day to keep up with or REALLY don’t want to do anything is make an in depth schedule. When there is so much you need to keep up with, so many things to do and places to go, you can fill in EVERYTHING you have to do that day. It also helps when you don’t want to do anything because there is always something you should be doing – no time to quit!
I hope these tips help you out as they have me!
1. You can’t please everyone. Pleasing yourself should be good enough.
2. Don’t think that “you’ll be happy when this happens” or “you’ll be happy when that happens”, or you’ll spend your whole life waiting to be happy.
3. If it doesn’t make you happy, why are you doing it?
4. Be kind to everyone because kindness has endless echoes.
5. Only keep the good ones.
6. Comparison will only take away happiness.
7. Negative friends will only bring you down.
8. Don’t waste your life dwelling on the past, it’s over.
9. There are always reasons to be happy.
10. Every little thing is a blessing; appreciate each one.
11. If you do your best, you will be proud.
12. Don’t stress out over what you can’t control.
13. Love yourself❣️
I hope you enjoyed this post and take something away from it.
” What is done with love is done well” – Van Gogh